My new and latest obsession is Tofu! It's cheaper than meat/chicken, and it's also healthy. I've never used or bought Tofu before, until now, so I'm still in the learning phase on how to work with it and what flavors work best. Because it has such a bland taste to it, you have to use a good amount of spices, herbs, marinade, dressings, etc well to make it flavorful!
I decided to make a Tofu pasta with a tomato based sauce and roasted garlic cloves.
Pasta - enough for 2 people. I used spaghetti, you can sue whatever you have
5 - 6 Garlic cloves
1 t Chili powder
1 t Mixed herbs - or any herb you have
2 t Salt and Pepper
1/2 Cup Tofu diced or (170g)
1/2 Cup Tomato based pasta sauce
1/2 Cup Spinach leaves
1/2 Cup Green beans
1/4 - 1/2 Cheese. Grated or diced. (I actually didn't have cheese unfortunately)
Oil to drizzle over garlic cloves
1. Bring your water to a boil, add a sprinkle of salt and add your pasta in. I cooked mine for around 10minutes until they were al dente.
2. In a oven tray, line it with foil and heat the oven to 180 deg. Peel the skin off the garlic cloves and place on the oven tray. sprinkle some salt on top and drizzle in oil. Place in the oven and take it out once it's golden brown and soft.
3. Dice up your tofu, and wash your green beans and cut in half. (I cut mine diagonally but that's just me being me).
4. In a pan on a medium heat with boiling water, add your green beans. I did this in a pan because mine was big enough to boil them. Boil for roughly 7minutes, drain the water and add in the tofu, and 1 T oil.
5. Add in your herbs, chili powder, salt and pepper and cook for 3 to 4 minutes before adding in the pasta sauce. Cook and let it simmer.
6. You can check on your garlic cloves/take them out if they're golden brown. They should be soft so you can turn it into a paste with a back of the spoon and mash it down. You can add more salt at this point if you like. The other option is to leave the garlic cloves whole, and mix it in with the pasta and tofu once it's cooked.
7. Drain your pasta and run under cold water. Mix it in to the Tofu and pasta sauce, add in your garlic cloves/paste that you baked and add in the spinach. Cook for another 5 minutes or so and mix gently. Turn the heat off sprinkle some cheese on top!
This should serve two, but if you have an appetite like mine, you'll probably just eat it all.